Wednesday 24 June 2020

The Curse of Donald Bane


This is the first play I wrote, in the early 1980s. I have been able to use the lock-down to get it typed up neatly and published on Kindle. Here is the link to it.


The play was written as part of teaching, for a Primary 7 class, so do not expect an adult treatment. But I do not believe in writing down for children, so it is not “childish”, however you may define that. Because we were making use of a lot of classroom time, and I was not yet Head of Department to do whatever I would, the play covers a lot of medieval history. The feudal system, outlawry, monastic reform, Scottish power politics of the twelfth century, Norman influence, royal government and the founding of the Royal Burgh of Edinburgh are all part of the story.

So anxious was I that the play could be used to teach a little medieval history, there are footnotes – sometimes extracts from primary sources – showing how the various events are closely based on historical record. It also makes clear which characters are invented by me and which ones definitely existed.

In those days our school was all boys (except for the Sixth Form) and in any case books about the twelfth century in those days did not deal enough with women. So the characters are all male. This does not, of course, prevent girls enjoying it, or taking part in it if you want to arrange a read-though. Half the point of acting is that you play someone different from the person you really are.

I realised, while typing it up, that the story of one boy coping with rapid changes in his society is a treatment that owes something to my childhood reading of Rosemary Sutcliff. I see nothing to be ashamed of in that; rather the reverse. The target audience originally was parents. I suppose the target readership is ages 9-12. But unless you are reasonably well up on the reign of David I it is likely to contain some Scottish history that is new to you.

Everyone who knows Shakespeare’s “Macbeth” will remember Donalbain, the younger brother of Malcolm who says “To Ireland I” and disappears from the play.  He is the Donald Bane of the title. I have seen his name spelled Donald Bain and Donald Ban. I am sure that Gaelic speakers may dispute all these spellings. All I can do is refer you to the introduction to “The Seven Pillars of Wisdom” by T.E. Lawrence where he challenges those who criticise his transliterations of Arabic names.  

No comments:

Post a Comment